We got our Christmas tree this week. I was happy we actually got one, since we were unable to last year (there was a crazy ice storm in Dallas, which caused all the tents housing Christmas Trees at Home Depot to collapse and trap the trees underneath, and by the time everything melted, we were just about taking off for Boston for Christmas and it wasn’t worth getting one).
So with the house smelling like Christmas, I thought I’d share a DIY crocheted ornament tutorial. It’s a throwback that I posted about two years ago, but I think it’s a good one. It’s an awesome way to use up remnant yarn you have around the house, and I think these would make nice little gifts too. We actually need some more ornaments for our tree, so maybe posting this tutorial will get me motivated to make some for us!
Click here to see my crocheted ornament tutorial.
In September, my friends Thuy and Andrew got married. I had made the jam jar favors for their couple’s shower back in June. I had the honor of designing their wedding invitations as well (Oh, and I got to be a bridesmaid, which was a lot of fun)!
Thuy wanted gold! Shiny, sparkly, glittery gold. At first they wanted their invites to look art deco. But after reviewing some options, they decided for something more classic, that would allow the gold to shine. This is the final invitation design we ended up with.
They decided to get the invites printed with gold foil, which ended up being a great touch, since it allowed the gold to really stand out (I’ve seen invites where they print in flat gold ink, and it just doesn’t pop as much as when you do gold foil). Thuy bought glittery gold wrapping paper and created the envelope liners herself. I really liked how that tied the invitation suite together!
Last month, my friends Thuy and Andrew tied the knot. They had a couples shower back in June, and I volunteered to make the party favors. We wanted something that was edible, but something that the gluten-free bride could enjoy. So I decided to make jam.
It was my first time making jam by myself. And boy, did I have a lot to learn. I botched up my first batch (the fruit-to-liquid ratio was off), and learned the hard way that the rubber seals for mason jars are one-time-use only. I think I ran to the store 3x in a day because I kept messing things up. Needless to say, after a couple attempts, I ended up with 36 pretty spiffy-looking jars.
I covered the lids with pieces of fabric (they were cut to circles), and then designed a tag to go with them. I used a flag-shaped paper punch to get the little banner shape.
I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. And now that I’ve got some jam making experience under my belt, I’d be open to making some more…but just in smaller quantities next time!