We’re expecting our first kiddo in May, which means that my most recent crafty projects have been for our baby and his room. It’s been fun flipping through Pinterest tutorials to see what I can make. The funny thing about most of this stuff is that the baby won’t even appreciate most of it. I guess it’s more for us (or pictures!).
The first thing I made was this giant crocheted pear. It was a nice indoor project to work on while the ice storms hit Dallas last month.
I had seen this apple and pear set on Little Gatherer and wanted to make my own. I think mine looks pretty close to the inspiration pic!
To make the jumbo version, I adapted a crocheted pear pattern I found online so that the finished pear measured roughly 2-feet tall. I’ll post the pattern soon, for anyone interested in making their own.
I’m looking forward to sharing more baby crafts with you all!
We got our Christmas tree this week. I was happy we actually got one, since we were unable to last year (there was a crazy ice storm in Dallas, which caused all the tents housing Christmas Trees at Home Depot to collapse and trap the trees underneath, and by the time everything melted, we were just about taking off for Boston for Christmas and it wasn’t worth getting one).
So with the house smelling like Christmas, I thought I’d share a DIY crocheted ornament tutorial. It’s a throwback that I posted about two years ago, but I think it’s a good one. It’s an awesome way to use up remnant yarn you have around the house, and I think these would make nice little gifts too. We actually need some more ornaments for our tree, so maybe posting this tutorial will get me motivated to make some for us!
Click here to see my crocheted ornament tutorial.
Last month, my friends Thuy and Andrew tied the knot. They had a couples shower back in June, and I volunteered to make the party favors. We wanted something that was edible, but something that the gluten-free bride could enjoy. So I decided to make jam.
It was my first time making jam by myself. And boy, did I have a lot to learn. I botched up my first batch (the fruit-to-liquid ratio was off), and learned the hard way that the rubber seals for mason jars are one-time-use only. I think I ran to the store 3x in a day because I kept messing things up. Needless to say, after a couple attempts, I ended up with 36 pretty spiffy-looking jars.
I covered the lids with pieces of fabric (they were cut to circles), and then designed a tag to go with them. I used a flag-shaped paper punch to get the little banner shape.
I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. And now that I’ve got some jam making experience under my belt, I’d be open to making some more…but just in smaller quantities next time!