— whollyKao

DIY personalized tie clips

Seems like guys these days are really into what I call the gentleman hipster look: vests, bow ties, trendy leather briefcases, and a quirky mustache, if they can swing it. Since we’re nearing Christmas, I thought I’d share a few ideas for Handmade Gifts for your Guy (whether he’s a gentleman hipster or not)!

First up? The personalized tie clip.
I love how simple and classy this is. And it takes all of 5 minutes to make.

What you need:
*I got the tie clips here on etsy; you might also be able to find them at the craft store.

Also:
-black acrylic paint
-paper towels

Steps
Start off by lining the edge of the tie clip flush to the edge of the steel block. The part of the clip that hangs over onto the steel block is how big your personalization area is. You can fit up to 4 letters, depending on how closely you space them together.

Carefully line up your first letter stamp and hold it firmly in place. Make sure your letter isn’t upside down before hammering! Hammer the initial into the tie clip. You may need to do this a bunch of times, since the metal is pretty thick. Do this for your remaining letters, being careful to line them all up so they’re not crooked.

Once the letters are done, you’ll want to darken them with some paint so they show up better. Put a dab of black acrylic paint onto a paper towel, then dab it onto the tie clip. Rub the paint in, so that it fills the crevices of the stamped out letters. Then use a clean paper towel and wipe off the excess paint.

Buff up the tie clip, and put that awesome tie clip in a box. Now all you have to do is find a bow for the top!

I’ll be posting a couple more ideas for Handmade Gifts for your Guy throughout this week, so stay tuned!

13 comments
  1. Hailey says: December 3, 20145:00 PM

When you hammer the letters, did you hit hard?
    Mine keeps slipping and I just scratch up the tye clip.

• whollykao says: December 7, 20149:52 PM

Hi Hailey, I had to hammer pretty hard, and I also rocked the letter stamp in four directions (rocked it away from me and hammered, then rocked it towards me and hammered; rocked it left and right and hammered each time). You have to be pretty careful that your letter stamp doesn’t slip when you do this, though!

2. […] Monogrammed Tie Clip from Wholly Kao […]

3. […] Personalized Tie Clip […]

4. […] Personalized Tie Clips […]

5. Julie Vanderwilt says: August 29, 20148:36 AM

I know this is late but is it normal to put the letters facing the bottom of the clip? Seems like they should be turned once clockwise so the initials show upright. But I know nothing about protocols on tie clips. Do you ever make them that way?

6. Dawn says: June 24, 20147:00 PM

This is awesome! Love it for groomsmen’s wedding ties! What size steel stamps did you use?

• whollykao says: June 24, 201411:41 PM

Hi Dawn, I used 3mm stamps for the clips.

7. Laurel says: December 20, 201211:25 PM

Where did you get the alphabet stamps and steel block for this? I love this idea!

• whollykao says: December 31, 20124:11 PM

Hey Laurel, so sorry for the late reply to your comment! I got both the alphabet stamps and steel block at Hobby Lobby, in the jewelry section. I think you can find them at Michael’s and Jo-Ann Fabrics too. If you’d like a better selection of fonts, I’d dig around on etsy. Happy crafting!

8. 5 last minute gift ideas « KITTENHOOD says: December 20, 201210:21 AM

[…] Photo: Wholly Kao […]

9. Lauren says: December 19, 201211:48 AM

Hi Esther! I love this and have been wanting an alphabet stamp kit. Where do you recommend finding one?

• whollykao says: December 31, 20124:14 PM

Hey Lauren, I’m sorry I took so long to reply to your comment! I got my alphabet stamps at Hobby Lobby. You can also get them at bead/jewelry jewelry supplies stores- they’ll have a bigger variety of fonts and font sizes. And if all else fails, you can always look on etsy (search under Supplies). Hope that helps!