— whollyKao

the photo-to-wood transfer

This Christmas, I made most of my gifts. The majority of the handmade items were photos transferred onto blocks of wood. It was something memorable to give family (especially for parents, who never seem to need anything!). Everyone seemed to really like them.

I first heard about the photo-to-wood transfer from a coworker. She had found it on Pinterest, and wanted to try it out for Christmas gifts this year. I decided to do the same. The premise is easy: you take a (cheap) photocopy of a picture, adhere it to a wooden board using gel medium, and then rub off all the paper so you’re left with just the image.

I followed the directions on this youtube video, and came up with a nice collection of photos on wood. My cousin Justin was kind enough to send these pics over to me (they’re ones taken at his wedding last July). Came out pretty good, right?

I thought I’d share some tips I learned during this process. Hopefully it’ll make it easier for you when you do your own photo transfers!

Photo-to-wood transfers
materials
wood
gel medium
paintbrush
photo, printed on copy paper
varnish (or Mod Podge)
step one: the wood
I think any wood works, but just look for something that doesn’t have a lot of markings on it, or this will affect your end image. I ended up buying a 2×4 of birch plywood at Home Depot, and getting the guys there to cut it into eight 12″x12″ pieces. You don’t need to treat the wood, but if yours is extra splintery, make sure to sand down the edges.

step two: the image
Two rules of thumb here: use cheap cheap cheap paper (i.e. photocopy paper), and use a laserjet printer. Ink jet images won’t transfer because the ink is water soluble. Also, all images will come out mirrored when you transfer them onto the wood. So if you need words to show up right on the wood, make sure to flip your image accordingly before transferring it onto wood.

I chose to make all my images black and white, but color pictures work just fine too!

Once you have your image, trim to the border so you don’t have an extra white border (it’ll just be extra work to remove this border after you transfer the photo).

step three: adhering the image

step four: removing the paper
After the gel medium dried, it was time to take the image off. I used a sopping wet washcloth and laid it on top of my entire image for 5 minutes to soften the paper.
Then it was time to rub the paper. Thanks to the soaked washcloth, the top layer of paper was really easy to remove.

Removing the paper takes a lot of time and patience. I had to do this 3-4 times to make sure all the paper was gone (and that took 30-45 minutes). And you have to do a final run-down when the image is mostly dry. As a rule of thumb, any fuzzy white patches on your wood will remain on it, even after you varnish it.

ta-da! This one is finally done.

I used my bone tool and scratched away all the hard edges to give each image a more vintage distressed look.

step five: finishing it off
I loved the layered look of the plywood I used, but wanted to jazz it up. So I applied wood stain to the sides of the wood, giving it a warm walnut color (top board in the image below).

Once that dried, it was time to varnish. Two coats later, I was done!

So there you have it: photo-to-wood transfers. Next time you’re in need of a gift (or home decor) idea, try this one out!

___
linked at nifty thrifty things

92 comments
  1. Will says: February 9, 20143:32 PM

Has anyone tried doing the transfer on multiple panels of wood? Not spacing them out but actually having one transfer cover a few panels at a time to create a “planked” look? I have seen a company online doing it ( http://www.plakthat.com ) but wanted to try it myself! Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. […] My friend Esther transferred her family photos onto plywood and it turned out super cool! Check out her post here! What a great […]

3. Carmen says: January 16, 20142:09 AM

Hi everyone…I’ve found a way to remove the paper quickly without damaging your fingertips. :) . Take a soft kitchen sponge (the kind with with the rough side for scrubbing). After wetting the paper thoroughly, gently scrub using the rough side of the sponge to remove the paper. The wetter the paper, the easier to rub/scrub off). Take care of any leftover fuzzies with a gummy art eraser or with your fingertips. This method takes a fraction of the time, but requires a thicker coat of the gel medium. Also, I used artist grade acrylic gel medium in matte (Amsterdam brand) in case that makes a difference. Good luck!

4. christiane says: December 25, 20139:47 PM

I love this and tried doing it on a piece of wood that I had painted white with some latex paint prior to transferring the photos.
    When I tried to rub the paper off there was either too much of the fibers left or some of the ink came off.
    Did that happen because I painted the wood?

• whollykao says: December 30, 20137:32 PM

Hi sorry for the late reply. I haven’t done this with stained or painted wood before, but I am thinking it shouldn’t affect the photo transfer that much. I am thinking yours didn’t work because of the type of paper you used (should be cheap copy paper) or the kind if printer your photo was printed on.

5. Tracy N. says: November 25, 201311:42 AM

Hey, I am wondering if it matters on what type of gel medium or mod podge you use for this project?

• whollykao says: November 26, 201310:54 PM

Hi Tracy,
      I used Liquitex Gel Medium, but I’m pretty sure you can use Mod Podge as well.

6. […] Using your photos transferred to a wood block – an unusual ornament  . […]

7. aprel says: November 2, 20138:49 PM

Hey i would like to be able to transfer the photos without the background o the image showing. so have just the subject and the wood as the background. please answer this or me! i really need to know!!! how do you erase the background of the image you’re transferring and how to you make the wood become it instead.

• whollykao says: November 3, 20139:41 AM

Hi there, to get that ‘invisible background’ look, you have to start off with a picture where the background is white (or as close to white as possible). If you have access to Photoshop, you can just paint your background white (or clip it out). You can also do this by cutting the subject matter out of your picture, then photocopying that again so that you end up with the subject matter on a white background on one sheet of paper.
      Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Nicolas says: November 16, 20136:53 AM

Hey, whollykao thanks so much for the reply.
        So after I have a picture with a white background like this one:

Then What? Will the white background disappear when I rub it off? Or do I have to do something else to the image.
        And if the white background does disappear, doesn’t that mean that any other part of the actually subject that happens to be white, while also disappear (for example donald ducks face in the link above).

Thank you!

• whollykao says: November 17, 201312:26 AM

hi there, the white background will be clear (it gets replaced by the gel medium). and yes that means any other parts of the pic that are white will also be clear. if you have more questions, feel free to email me at whollykao@gmail.com

8. Nicolas Sanchez Lopz says: October 28, 20135:29 PM

Hi your pictures turned out great!
    I would like to know how you made the picture background disappear. Even in-between the heads there isn’t any background just the wood. How did you do this?
    Is there a way to perfectly get rid of the pictures background so you only get the shapes o people head and the wood texture as the background? I doubt you used scissors to perfectly cut the pictures background out?! Anyways kudos! these look amazing!

9. Kittykat says: October 17, 201311:46 AM

I use pictures from Walmart photo center and the back is a layer of plastic – paper – plastic – ink.
    They come off with out using a lot of water but they were a white-ish color. So im going to try the veggie oil thing. Thank you for your tips! ^-^

10. [...] process is fairly straightforward (You can check out pages like Photojojo‘s or Wholly Kao‘s  for full, more fleshed-out [...]

11. Zoe says: May 28, 201312:44 AM

I tried doing something similar to this one time, but using a different method (not the gel medium) and it was a massive failure! I’m guessing the gel medium is the way to go.

12. Rita says: May 8, 20134:44 PM

Love your Mother’s Day craft project! Thanks for this tutorial for photo to wood transfer! Would you like to enter our Mother’s Day Contest?

13. [...] This has got to be my favorite of all the Mother’s Day ideas that I have ran into so far! This takes a little bit of work, but the results are amazing! Pick out your favorite picture and follow the step-by-step directions at Wholly Kao. [...]

14. Mothers Day Gifs says: April 30, 20137:01 PM

[...] Photo Wood Transfer [...]

15. [...] for plain, lightly colored wood, and one side of my veneer was just that.  I followed this guide (http://whollykao.com/2011/12/30/the-photo-to-wood-transfer/), as I couldn’t find the one I first saw a year or so ago on the MAKE magazine blog) though [...]

16. Photo-to-Wood Transfer Project says: January 4, 201310:23 AM

[...] you step-by-step through the process of making a photo-to-wood transfer on a small piece of wood {click here to see Esther’s tutorial}. Being the advantageous and {slightly} ridiculous individual that I am, I took this idea and [...]

17. Kris says: December 23, 20129:47 PM

So I tried this and rubbed and rubbed but it is hard to know when to stop. If I rub too much, the ink layer of paper rubs. I thought the ink was transferred to the wood, so that it doesnt rub off. But if I rub too much the ink part comes off too :( so i have a few images with little bits of my cousin’s face missing and the woid showing in its place. Did this happen to anyone else?

18. Billy says: December 18, 20129:44 AM

Hello, thank you so much for the tips! They really helped me get a better finish to my transfers.

Another tip that I was given, which proved very useful, was to use vegetable oil to enhance the clarity of the pictures. When you think you’ve removed all the paper you can without damaging the photo, there may still be a slight layer or patches of fuzziness when it dries. Apply a thin layer of vegetable oil, followed immediately by a layer of modge podge to seal it. It helps a lot! Just remember that you do want to remove as much as you can before this step, the oil only goes so far to clear up the image.

Thanks again!

• whollykao says: December 18, 20121:48 PM

Hey Billy, thanks for the vegetable oil tip! I’m sure it’ll come in handy for other readers. I’ll have to update my post to include it!

• Marissa says: December 23, 20129:13 AM

Hi there! I’ve done 3 so far to give as xmas gifts, I’d like to try the veggie oil tip.with the remaining 2. How did you apply the oil? (Cloth/brush?)
      Thx in advance and thanks “Wholly Kao” for the very through tutorial! Smother great light colored wood option (if birch is not available in 2×4) is Poplar I paid roughly $25 for it.

• whollykao says: December 23, 201212:33 PM

Hey Marissa, thanks for the wood tip! I haven’t personally tried using veggie oil, but I’d assume you would want to apply a thin layer with a cloth, so you can wipe off the excess oil.

• Billy says: December 23, 20121:09 PM

I just used a small paint brush and just enough oil to cover the face of the picture! Hope it works, good luck!

• Marissa says: December 23, 20123:09 PM

Okay thx! I wonder if using Pam might work just as good if not better :)

19. Angela says: December 12, 201210:48 AM

Hi, I have been scraping off white paper for several days now, and when it’s wet, it looks great, but then it dries, and still white-ish. Does this mean that I have not cheap enough paper? It seems that more of the picture is coming off now, and dragging my feet, as I don’t want to ruin it completely

• whollykao says: December 12, 20124:45 PM

Hey Angela,
      oh no! Totally understand how you want to salvage the project. Hmm, so I’m thinking your paper may be too thick (or maybe there was a gloss or finish to it), and the gel medium bonded to it, which makes it impossible to scrape the paper away (or when you, you end up scraping the photo away too). What kind of paper did you use? Does the texture of the picture feel smooth, or is it still grainy (like the feel of paper)?

• whollykao says: December 18, 20121:50 PM

Hey Angela,
      another reader just recommended rubbing the entire image down buy applying a thin layer of vegetable oil + then immediately coat it with a layer of Modge Podge to seal it. They said it helped improve the clarity of the pic. Might be worth a try!

20. Trasferir fotos a madera « 80 y tú says: November 28, 20122:00 AM

[...] Foto vía WollyKao [...]

21. Lauren says: November 27, 20122:01 PM

Hello! Does this process work the same for a larger scale panel, or are there any shortcuts that you know of? Can’t wait to try this for Christmas gifts!

• whollykao says: November 27, 20129:01 PM

Hey Lauren, I haven’t tried this on a larger scale, but I’m guessing the best way to do that is to print your image on several 8.5×11″ sheets and tape the edges together on the back side with low-tack tape. Spread a layer of gel medium on the board, then glue the taped sheets down, with the image facing the board. Once the photo-side of the paper has been glued down, take the low-take tape off, then spread the gel medium on to the back side of the paper. Let the glue dry, then wet the paper and peel it off.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions!

22. Jankij says: October 16, 20124:07 PM

Does this technique work on MDF?

• whollykao says: October 17, 201211:36 PM

I haven’t tried it on MDF, but I think it would. Just make sure to cover your entire surface with gel medium, which will make it ‘waterproof’ for when you wet the paper and scrape it off. good luck!

23. Name sourpatchkid0 says: October 9, 20129:05 AM

How long did you wait before rubbing it off with water?

• whollykao says: October 9, 201211:54 AM

Hey Roschelle, I let the paper dry overnight. It might take less time than that, but you just want the glue and paper to be completely dry before rubbing it with water.

24. Rich Johnson says: August 1, 20129:16 AM

Worked like a charm! Here is a link to the one I did! http://www.flickr.com/photos/richjohnsonphoto/sets/72157630781745160/

• whollykao says: August 1, 201211:54 PM

That looks amazing! I’m glad it worked for you. Thanks for sharing your pics!

25. hamna says: June 25, 20127:48 PM

can this be done on canvas?

26. Liz says: June 15, 20127:49 PM

Can I use glazing medium? To get a 35% acrylic paint?

27. Liz says: June 15, 20127:42 PM

Hey, I’m having a difficult time finding the gel medium. Could you give me some brand names? I only found acrylic textile medium. Thanks

• whollykao says: June 17, 20124:00 PM

Hey Liz, I’ve been using Liquitex Gel Medium (http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-gel-mediums/), but it looks like any kind of acrylic gel medium would work. You can find them at the craft store, with the acrylic painting supplies.
      What you found sounds like it’s made just for fabric. So I’d go look for the regular gel medium. And you can use either matte or gel.
      Hope that helps!

28. [...] http://whollykao.com/2011/12/30/the-photo-to-wood-transfer/ Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

29. Libby says: May 25, 20121:05 PM

I love your project. I just tried it at home and had a few issues, mostly with a lot of “scrapes” coming off. I know I should expect some but not as many as I had. I printed my pictures off at Staples… I’m assuming their laser printers are just as good as the ones at somewhere like Kinko’s, but maybe not? I also noticed that you mentioned using low quality paper and mine seemed to be printed on pretty high quality paper. Maybe that could be my issue? Thanks for any help you can offer.

• whollykao says: May 25, 20121:11 PM

Hi Libby, yup, I’d assume that Staples would have printers similar to Kinko’s. What makes the cheap paper work best is that it’s pretty thin, which makes it easy to rub off. Was the paper you used pretty thick? Or did it have any kind of gloss to it? If so, that might be the culprit! Good luck, and let me know if you have more Qs.

30. Maylee says: May 24, 20124:40 PM

Hi Paula, do you place the photo face down onto the wood after applying the gel medium?

31. Casey says: May 22, 20122:02 AM

I tried this. I took the picture on my camera photo disk to staples and had them print it on a laserjet printer. Unfortunately the picture came out really dark. I guess I should just edit the picture first. I took a color photo and turned it to black and white so maybe I should just do it in color? Any suggestions on color vs black and white?

• whollykao says: May 22, 20124:26 AM

Hey Casey, it depends on what kind of ‘look’ you’re going for with your finished piece. Black and white feels more vintagey to me, whereas color seems more modern/lively. And yeah, if you are able to edit the picture before you print it, that’ll help. Hopefully I answered your Qs. Let me know if you have others!

32. Paula says: May 21, 20126:00 PM

Hey love! I love the way yours came out unfortunately mines didn’t. I went to home Depot bought 2×4 and sanded down and clean the saw dust off. I then used gel medium and placed my reg paper printed off laser and let it sit for 16hrs and placed a wet wash cloth on top for a couple minutes and start rubbing off the paper but while I was wiping it off my ink came off too :( Can you tell me your wait time and your secret to this project. I’m relocating to Japan with my husband and I wanted to make this for his Marines buddy’s for memories thanks

• whollykao says: May 22, 20124:33 AM

Hi Paula,
      I let my gel medium dry overnight (24 hours at the most), and then wet the paper and rubbed it off. Seems like you’re using all the right materials. Did your ink come off on the paper (i.e. was the ink still attached to the paper when you rubbed the paper off?). Maybe try printing on a different printer (I wonder if the kind of ink in the printer was the culprit here). Or how much gel medium did you use?

• Paula says: May 22, 20127:47 AM

Hi Ester,
        The picture came off the wood. Leaving spots off peoples faces and all. I have a inkjet printer at home. HP Color LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw. But today I went to fed ex and requested for the cheapest of the cheapest printer paper and reprinted the photo so today Im going to try it again this weekend oh and I didn’t use too much gel medium. Just enough to conver the wood fingers cross its my printer hehe

• whollykao says: May 22, 20124:06 PM

I’m hoping it’s your printer too! When I did mine, I used the big printer at work (i.e. looks like one at kinko’s)…maybe the toner for those is different from the laserjets for home use? Let me know how it goes!

33. attempting diy says: April 19, 20123:33 AM

do you think this project would work on wood that has a stain over the entire piece prior to doing the transfer process?

• whollykao says: April 21, 20124:07 AM

hm, I’m not sure if it would or not. I think it’s worth trying if the wood has been stained with an oil-based stain (i.e. waterproof stain). It’d look pretty great, if that does work out.

34. lovedufromthestart says: April 11, 20122:28 PM

Reblogged this on lovedufromthestart.

35. Smez says: April 11, 20128:20 AM

Cool! Thanks for including lots of details. I’m so excited to start…just gotta choose the photos!

36. [...] thanks to Esther of Wholly Kao for the original photo-to-wood transfer DIY that was the inspiration and guide for this tutorial! You rock, [...]

37. liz (eharries) | Pearltrees says: April 3, 20121:50 AM

[...] I used Liquitex’s gel medium (found it at JoAnn Fabric), and it worked just fine for me. I painted the gel medium onto the photo, then adhered it to the wood. To get the glue to spread around, I took my bone tool and dragged it across the image several times to push all the extra glue out (you can also use a credit card). If you don’t do this, you could end up with lumpy bubbles in your end image. step four: removing the paper the photo-to-wood transfer « whollykao [...]

38. [...] to Wholly Kao and Photojojo for this terrific little project! I love it and will do it again! Share [...]

39. [...] to Wholly Kao and Photojojo for this terrific little project! I love it and will do it again! Share [...]

40. anna says: April 2, 20123:49 AM

Is the varnish just for over the stained edges or did
    the varnish coats go over the transferred picture.
    Thanks

• whollykao says: April 2, 20124:50 AM

Hey Anna,
      I put the varnish over both the transferred picture and the edges. It helps to give the wood a slightly glossy finish.

41. Sarah J says: March 29, 20129:55 PM

Hey there! These turned out great for you, but not so much for me. I found a tutorial similar to this back in December, and attempted to do this twice. Both times a lot of the ink came off and the images were too distressed for what I was going for.
    I’m using a laserprinter and my fingers to rub the paper off, so what could be going wrong?

• whollykao says: March 30, 20125:52 AM

Hey Sarah,
      What kind of paper did you use? You want to use real cheap paper (it’s easier to rub off). Did you try printing the images to a different laserprinter the second time you tried it? Perhaps the ink quality in that printer wasn’t the best kind for transferring photos (I heard this doesn’t work well if you use a high end laserprinter). And was the wood you’re using treated? (i.e. has some kind of sealant on it)? That would affect how well the image sticks. And are you giving the adhesive enough time to dry before rubbing the paper off?

Sorry it didn’t work out so great for you, but hopefully this helped!

42. Wendy says: March 7, 20125:43 AM

Thanks for the careful step-by-step explanations. I saw a version of this on Pintrest, and tried it with only mediocre results. The hardest part for me was getting the paper off–your “wet washrag soak” is a good trick, and it helps to know it will really take that long.

43. [...] My friend Esther transferred her family photos onto plywood and it turned out super cool! Check out her post here! What a great [...]

44. photographybooklover says: February 12, 20124:55 PM

I don’t think i’ll find the liquitex gel anywhere in my area? could u explain what it is so i could explain it to the vendor incase he doesn’t have the same gel? AWESOME IDEA! LOVE IE <3 <3

• whollykao says: February 12, 20126:10 PM

Hi there,
      Gel Medium is an acrylic-based gel that’s usually used for painting (it makes acrylic paint thick so that your painting has texture).
      When you use it to do a photo transfer, the gel medium reacts with the toner on your image and bonds that image to the gel. It’s essentially a high end glue that lifts the image off your paper. And the gel dries clear, so once you scrub the paper backing off your printed picture, you’re left with an image that is ‘copied’ onto the gel medium.

This article says that if you don’t have gel medium, you can also use acrylic paint, gesso, latex paint. As long as the ingredients say “Polymer acrylic medium”, it should do the trick. http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm

Hope that helps!

45. Lori says: February 1, 20128:28 PM

Truly love this….am going to try this for a wedding present. I do have a silly question for you, what is a bone tool. Was going to type it into Google, but am afraid of what may pop up! LOL!

• whollykao says: February 2, 20122:46 AM

Hey Lori,
      haha, oops, I should’ve been more specific about that! A bone tool is a flat plastic stick you use for bookmaking (it helps to make creases in the paper). You can use a credit card instead, if you don’t have one — you just want something you can scrape over the paper to help spread the gel medium and push out any extra adhesive (this ensures that there are no bubbles under your paper). hope that helps!

46. [...] My friend Esther transferred her family photos onto plywood and it turned out super cool! Check out her post here! What a great [...]

47. beckiblake says: January 26, 20125:04 AM

Very cool. Thanks!

48. another gravy boat, anyone? | Fête Nashville says: January 23, 20123:24 PM

[...] parents… memories to last a lifetime! Check out this sweet blog that gives the step-by-step: http://www.whollykao.com. . FOR THE BRIDESMAIDS: . fornash.com How gorgeous are these bracelets? Fornash.com has a [...]

49. Lisa says: January 23, 20126:26 AM

This is awesome! Thanks for the great tutorial. But, now the question you haven’t answered… did you make that crocheted Christmas tree or did you buy it? And if you made it, please, where is the pattern???

50. Christa says: January 21, 201211:01 PM

I am so excited to try this! I have a question though, am I understanding correctly that you printed photos from the computer onto regular paper? Your photos were not printed on photo paper right?

• whollykao says: January 23, 20122:02 AM

Hi Christa, I printed the photos onto regular printer paper (not photo paper). And I printed it on a laserjet, like the ones at kinkos (not on my inkjet at home). The cheaper the paper, the better, too. (it’ll rub away more easily).
      Good luck with your photo project! Let me know if you have more questions.

51. Sarah says: January 21, 201210:05 PM

Love this! This might be a silly question, but on those were just the outline of the poeple are on the wood (like the one pictured with the knitted christmas tree), did you cut the picture before you applied it to the wood? I assume you did but it looks like such a perfect outline of the figures/faces and their hair tha tI had to ask. Thanks so much!

• whollykao says: January 23, 20121:59 AM

Hi Sarah, the picture I used had a white background (it was taken at a photo booth at my cousin’s wedding, where the background was just a white sheet). If you have a pic you want to use and you want the same effect, you could cut out the background with scissors, or if you’re handy with photoshop, you can always use that to take the background out!

52. Lori says: January 21, 20125:28 PM

Thanks for the great tips! I want to try this. I love the name of your blog, by the way:) Super cute.

• whollykao says: January 23, 20121:52 AM

Hi Lori–definitely try this out, and have fun with it! Thanks for the compliment :)

53. [...] Se fotoguide til arbejdet her på Wholly KaoHar du ikke mod på selv at lave det, så kan du købe færdige billeder her på denne side [...]

54. Jennifer says: January 11, 20125:12 AM

Such a nice and unique gift idea! I want to make one now. Thanks for sharing your tips!

55. Ayla says: December 31, 20114:16 AM

You two are so adorable. I’ve done this with a photograph of Frida Kahlo for a project in art school. It’s such a cool technique. It would be nice to do something similar on some untreated wood furniture, don’t you think?

• whollykao says: January 1, 201212:20 AM

Hm, never thought about it on furniture, but now that you mention it, sounds neat. I can picture it on a side table or coffee table or something – it’d make a good conversation piece!

56. ilene says: December 31, 20113:17 AM

I’ve been wanting to do this on canvas! i got all the supplies, just need to pick the right pics! its nice to know you can do it on wood!!

• whollykao says: January 1, 201212:19 AM

Yeah, do it! I bet it’d look pretty great on canvas.

57. kathyphantastic says: December 30, 20116:51 AM

I LOVE this. Thanks for sharing AND yay for handmade Holidays!

I’m definitely going to try this soon. If only my parents liked handmade gifts…I’ll make them for friends instead.

• whollykao says: January 1, 201212:18 AM

Thanks Kathy! I think your friends will appreciate this kinda stuff more :) Hope it turns out well!