— whollyKao

gone bowling

bowling1

A couple of my friends and I decided to do a Secret Santa swap last year. We pushed it off till now, so it ended up being a Secret Easter Bunnies swap instead. One of the rules was to send handmade items.

So here I was, trying to figure out what to send, other than jewelry. I had been scrambling to make stuff for the Handmade Bash, and knew I could just give that, but it seemed like a cop out.

I searched around for something else to make, and decided on a ring bowl. I’d always liked the white ones sold at Anthropologie, kind of like this.

bowling2

Luckily, I found a great tutorial from Sodapop design. It’s in German, but the pics are pretty self explanatory. I translated the text using Google translator, and came up with this adapted tutorial.

To start, I gathered my materials:

bowling3

-Sculpey clay (I just got this at JoAnn Fabrics)
-lace to make your design (a paper doily works fine too)
-a cookie cutter (a cup works fine too)
-rolling pin
-either wax paper or a silipat to roll the clay on
-acrylic paint (optional)
First, I rolled out the Sculpey on my Silipat, then placed my lace on top.
By the way, don’t roll your clay out directly on the counter, or you will have to restart. I made that mistake, and couldn’t scrape the clay off the counter without ruining the design.

bowling4

Then I rolled the lace into the clay.

bowling5

I carefully peeled back the lace

bowling6

and used my cookie cutter to cut the clay into a circle.

bowling7

Next, I peeled the clay circle off my Silipat, and put it into a oven-safe bowl. I used a shallow one, because I didn’t want the finished bowl to be too deep.

bowling 11

The oven-safe bowls went on a cookiesheet, and were baked. I just followed the baking instructions on the Sculpey packaging.

After they were done baking, I let the clay cool in the bowls.

bowling12

Now for the finishing touches.
I ended up making a little birdie to perch on the lip of one of the bowls. To make it easier to glue the bird to the bowl, I cut out a little triangle of clay from the bottom of the bird. This was baked standing up, at the same time as the bowls.

bowling9

I attached the little bird I made to the lip of one clay bowl.

bowling13

On another bowl, painted it with two coats of gold acrylic. Had to use a small brush to do this, for more precise painting.

bowling14

bowling15

I ended up using this as my business card holder at the Handmade Bash. (More on the Bash later.)

bowling16

In all, it’s a good thing I didn’t default to just giving jewelry for my Secret Easter Bunny gift. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have had my little business card holder!

47 comments
  1. Roopini says: July 6, 201412:43 PM

Wow! These are so lovely :) Thank you for the tutorial :)

2. Boiler Room style Extrano says: May 8, 20144:01 AM

Excellent blog you have here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

3. Marie @ Substance of Living says: April 7, 20148:37 AM

What a unique and beautiful gift! Thank you for sharing and I like that you were able to think of other uses for the little bowl.
    Cheers,
    Marie

4. JLD says: March 12, 201411:34 PM

Hi! I was wondering if you used any kind of sealant on the clay after you baked it? I’m thinking of making a set of these as desert plates…so any suggestion of a sealant (sealer?) that I could use would be great. Thanks!

• whollykao says: March 21, 201411:42 AM

Hi, I used the Sculpey brand sealer, but I don’t think that is food safe. You might check into the Pebeo line of products to see if they make what you’re looking for. They sell that at Michael’s, Joann and other craft supply stores.

5. Chrysta says: February 28, 20143:41 AM

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I had tried making it with the German one and failed miserably. I’m going to try again.

6. maggiemay says: February 11, 201412:41 PM

Oh, I’m not English, tell me what shop is that? ;)
    Thank you for your response and enthusiasm :D:D

7. maggiemay says: February 11, 201410:28 AM

Hi! What an inspiration! I have wedding this year and I’ve planned gingerbreads with icing as a gifts for quests. This is kind a expensive to buy and difficult to do by myself. So you inspired me to do hearts as well but this way! With our names and date :) I found the same sculpey 745g and I’m wondering – how much – more or less – I could do usung one pack – hearts 7 cm height, thin – maybe 5 mm. Could you help me to assess that? Is better to buy it by internet?

• whollykao says: February 11, 201412:05 PM

Hi Maggie, that will be such a fun wedding gift for your guests! I’m thinking each pack of Sculpey will be able to make somewhere around 15 of your hearts. Maybe eve 20. I’m not definite on that, since it’s been a while since I’ve used Sculpey. And in terms of ordering, either online or in store is fine. If you live anywhere near a store that offers 40% off coupons every week, it might be worth it to go buy a box and use the coupon every week! But that might be too much of a hassle too. Good luck. Let me know if you have other questions!

8. HandVsmom says: January 10, 201412:59 PM

I followed a pinterest link here. I love how you made the bowls! I’m an arts and craft fan and love giving handmade gifts. Definitely going to try these with my 9 yr old DD! Thanks for sharing!

9. Diane Morissette says: December 8, 20136:54 PM

Beautiful! Any reason you couldn’t bake the bird right on the edge of the bowl?

10. DYI | Pearltrees says: November 28, 201310:38 PM

[…] gone bowling […]

11. Paloma says: November 24, 201310:48 AM

Hi ! I love these bowls, what a great idea. Which sculpey clay would be best to use ? Original ? Or are all the different kinds good to use ?
    Thanks for any suggestions..

12. Abby says: November 14, 20131:32 AM

Can I use salt dough for this instead of the clay?

• whollykao says: November 14, 20135:18 PM

hm-I haven’t used salt clay before. I guess you could always experiment with it and see! sorry I’m not much help.

13. 25 DIY Anthropologie Knockoffs says: November 4, 20135:04 AM

[…] 20. Gone bowling – Wholly Kao […]

14. Julie says: September 28, 201312:21 PM

Hi. Good job! Nice gifts to give out. What kind of glue did you use for the bitds?

• whollykao says: September 29, 201310:48 PM

Thanks Julie! I used a polymer clay glue made by Sculpey, that I bought at Joann Fabrics.

15. DIY Ceramic Ring Dish - Craft Crazy Mom says: August 30, 20131:41 AM

[…] {via Wholly Kao} […]

16. Birthstones says: June 25, 20134:18 PM

Super cute! I love the little bird, I definitely want to try this out!

• whollykao says: June 25, 201311:58 PM

Aw thanks! Happy crafting! :)

17. [...] How to create an Anthro inspired lace embossed dish. – http://whollykao.com/2011/06/18/gone-bowling/ [...]

18. Jo says: June 18, 20136:05 AM

Hello dear,

How many plates could that one packet make?

• whollykao says: June 20, 20139:26 AM

Hi Jo, the packet of Sculpey can make a bunch of plates. I think it can make up to 10 of 3-inch plates, but that also depends on how thick you roll them out!

19. 38 Anthropologie DIY Hacks says: June 10, 201311:32 PM

[...] Perfect for displaying jewelry on a dresser. Instructions here. [...]

20. [...] inspiration for this project came from Esther over at WhollyKao. I made some modifications to the bowl so that it could be used as a ring bearer [...]

21. AnnetteB says: January 12, 20138:12 AM

These are beautiful. You make it look so simple, but I do appreciate the work you put into them. I hope mine turn out half as nice!

• whollykao says: January 13, 20138:25 PM

Thanks Annette! Hope you have fun making yours!

22. Erica says: October 20, 20129:02 PM

This is lovely. The lace detail is so delicate. Such a sweet place to store jewelry :)

• whollykao says: October 21, 20128:44 PM

Thanks Erica! I recently saw someone make a ring bearer bowl like this too! They stamped the bride and groom’s initials in the clay before baking. Looked so cute!

23. [...] 20. Gone bowling – Wholly Kao [...]

24. [...] inspiration for this project came from Esther over at WhollyKao. I made some modifications to the bowl so that it could be used as a ring bearer [...]

25. [...] inspiration for this project came from Esther over at WhollyKao. I made some modifications to the bowl so that it could be used as a ringbearer [...]

26. Marianne says: June 18, 20122:30 AM

What a clever idea. I saw this in etsy and I’m wondering how they did it. I didn’t know it’s easy until I stumbled here

27. [...] oven – and that’s it! One gorgeous yet simple DIY. Julia got her idea from Wholly Kao (check it out here, it’s equally gorgeous), who in turn got her idea from the German site Sodapop Design. Such [...]

28. Katie says: May 7, 20124:39 AM

Hi,
    Love the way your bowls turned out. I have seen this before and would love to try it when I find some clay. Just wondering if you need to do anything to the bowl you sit the clay in while baking or does the clay come out easily enough? Also wondering if any of the clay comes off onto the lace or if it’s fine to be reused later on?
    Thanks a bunch. :)

• whollykao says: May 8, 20124:49 AM

Hey Katie,
      nope, you don’t need to do anything to the bowl that the clay sits in – just make sure it’s oven-safe. And the clay comes off the lace pretty easily, but it leaves it feeling a little greasy. You can definitely use the lace to make more bowls though. have fun!

29. K Warr says: April 16, 201210:49 PM

Thank you for sharing this. Could you tell me how big each of the bowls are for referencing purposes? I’ve got my supplies gathered to make some asap. And thank you for the paper doily tip. I might try some paper designs cut out with my silhouette. I’m sure a real doily or lace leaves a deeper imprint though.

• whollykao says: April 17, 20124:58 AM

Hi there,
      my larger bowl was 4″ in diameter, and the smaller one was 3″ in diameter.
      Good luck with making your bowls, and let me know if you have other Qs!

30. Mariam says: April 12, 20124:00 AM

I so wanna do this! Smart!

31. Frk. Smed says: April 11, 20122:27 PM

What a wonderful idea. I just bought some air drying clay, I can’t wait to try this.

32. Lace Clay Bowl « Stars & Sunshine says: April 9, 20121:32 PM

[...] got this idea from a great post at Wholly Kao. She has a wonderful tutorial there, but I did a few things differently, so I’m sharing them [...]

33. Julia says: March 20, 20124:31 PM

Where do you get thick pieces of lace like the ones you used for these bowls?

• whollykao says: March 20, 20124:36 PM

Hey Julia,
      I got the lace from etsy–I just searched in Supplies to find people selling fun appliques.

34. amywombwell says: February 2, 20124:03 PM

I followed a link from pinterest.
    This is a great post, your pictures and descriptions of the bowl are very helpful. I can’t wait to try this. I will post my bowl on my webpage, if I finish it this weekend, I’ll link back here if I do.

• whollykao says: February 9, 20124:04 AM

Thanks Amy! Good luck with making your bowl!

35. [...] Wholly Kao has a great tutorial on how to make a small bowl from polymer clay.  It is embellished with lace to give it a very finished look.  Just remember polymer clay is not to be used with food. Rate this: Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]